Unix and Linux Systems

2008/04/01




Here it is:

http://www.kerio.com/kwf_protocol_inspector.html
. I groaned when
I saw this: first Apple gets taken down and now this? I wanted to
go lie down with a towel over my eyes.


Yes, it is April 1st, and Kerio's site hasn't really been hacked.
They just thought this might be a fun way to call attention to the
importance of firewalls today and of course specifically their
Kerio WinRoute Firewall.


I don't sell a lot of these. I've written before about
the
comparison of this to dedicated hardware units
and the
advantages and disadvantages of both. I think there is a good
case to be made for this (see that link for why) but the most
important point is that many small businesses go really cheap on
firewall protection, using $100 or less appliance routers found at
Staples or Best Buy to protect their networks. I don't think that
makes a lot of sense - it's not necessarily a matter of protection
(though that may indeed figure in) but more importantly a matter
of flexibility - it's when you start opening up those cheap routers
for necessary services that you run into their limits. A real rule
based firewall like KWF or Fortinet provides far more control.


Happy April 1st, everyone.






















- Coming Soon - Skills Tests - Surveys - Kerio Mail Server - Fortinet Routers - Consulting - Advertise Here