Unix and Linux Systems

2008/04/11



This is more of a confession than a review, but it may
help out someone else as confused and unaware as I was.
I should have bought a GPS some time ago, and only did
so because we are planning a cross country trip. I had
no idea how useful this would be for local travel and
really wish someone had told me to buy one..


My first misconception: I thought these were subscription
services like Satellite Radio. I also thought the lowest
priced models were up in the $400 range and I couldn't
see paying that much money AND a monthly subscription
for something I didn't need: maps.google.com gets me
where I need to go, right?


So wrong.. you can get refurbished units well under
$100 now and even brand new units aren't much more. I paid
$150.00 for a brand new Garmin Nuvi 250, and that's the end
of it: no monthly fees.


Well, there is an associated expense: every now and then
you'll need to update the internal maps, and they do charge
for that, but how often do the roads change so
much that you need an update? In most places you could go
years and years before out of date maps became anything but
a very minor problem.


OK, but still: on-line directions are free and constantly
updated. Do I really need a GPS?


Nope. But it sure is convenient. How many times have you
looked down at your gas gauge and realized that you need the closest
gas station NOW? Your GPS unit, even a low priced model, can
find that station for you, as well as restaurants, malls, tourist attractions...


It can also find alternate routes. The high priced units
can automatically route you around bad traffic, but even the
low priced units can help: just look at the map to see a likely
road, get off there and let the GPS figure out what you need
to do next. At first it may try to get you back to the highway, but
if you keep stubbornly going in the "wrong" direction, it will
eventually recalculate another route to your destination. The
unit I have can be set to avoid highways too - that can help
for this kind of situation.


Where these really shine is cross-city cuts. For example,
I was in Boston Monday and needed to go out to Brookline. I
knew where I was going, and could have found my way without
the GPS, but I would have taken the major roads that I know,
and would have gone way out of my way. Often MapQuest or
maps.google.com will do the same thing because their algorithm
doesn't want to give you a lot of quick turns - too hard to
memorize and impossible to read while driving. As the GPS
is going to speak to you ("Turn right in 200 feet"), a bunch
of twists and turns is no problem: I was at my destination
in half the time it would have taken otherwise, and I also
learned a route I never knew before.


About that speaking: the higher end units speak the road:
"Turn left on Union Street in 200 feet". My lower end
leaves out the street name, although it is shown on the display.
Most of the time I don't need to look at the display because
there aren't that many streets close together, but in the city,
you do want to know the specific street.


Oh, another misconception: I thougt these had to be installed.
Another expense, and an annoyance when you trade in the car.
Yes, some high end units do require installation, but mine
just pops onto the window with a suction cup. Nothing
to it.


Trust me: I did not think I wanted a GPS. I know better
now. Prices are very reasonable, they are simple to use,
and you will be glad you bought it. I'll go so far as to
say you are foolish not to have one today.






















- Coming Soon - Skills Tests - Surveys - Kerio Mail Server - Fortinet Routers - Consulting - Advertise Here