Unix and Linux Systems

2008/04/08



A comment at Mac Pwned
touched on something that's been nagging at me for some time now:



Sometimes I have a hard time with the fact that I use OS X, which although uses open source, it still uses a lot of closed source as well. My hats off to the 'pure' GNU Linux diehards. I tend to fall in the middle, a little closed, and a little open.

Mea culpa.


Of course I *do* use Linux too - I have a Linux server here, and I've
put many a Linux box into service at customer sites. But every morning when
I sit down at my desk, it's the MacBook Pro's keyboard my fingers
first touch.


And like the person who left the comment above, I feel a little guilty
about that. I love my Mac, I really, really do, but deep down I feel
like I'm compromising my own principles, that I've sold out for convenience..
I should be waddling the waddle rather than drinking the Koolaid.


The other odd thing about that is that I suspect that someday I
probably will. As I move into retirement, my income will naturally
decline and I won't be able to afford two thousand dollar plus computers..
it seems inevitable that at some point I will be using Linux as my
ordinary desktop machine.. so why not now?


Aaargh. Because.. because.. because.. all right, dammit I have no
good reason. I could use Linux right now and it wouldn't make
a bit of difference. I'd lose nothing, give up nothing. There's
no denying it.


But here I am, still clicking away at the MacBook.. feeling guilty,
but not quite guilty enough to reformat it with Linux.























- Coming Soon - Skills Tests - Surveys - Kerio Mail Server - Fortinet Routers - Consulting - Advertise Here